lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:10:08 GMT
On 8/8/06, Oliver Hutchison <ohutchison@aconex.com> wrote:
> > The nature of the field cache itself means that the first
> > sort on a particular field can take a long, long time.
> > Synchronization won't really help that much.
>
> I think you may be misunderstanding my description (probably because it was
> not clear enough :). The issue is not that the first search is going to take
> a while as this is clearly unavoidable.

Sorry, I understood your problem perfectly, I just wasn't clear on
what I was saying.

My point was that for many uses, even the first-sorted-search delay is
not acceptable (and fixing multiple threads trying to fill the same
cache entry wouldn't solve that).  The warming-in-the-background that
Solr currenty uses solves both.

For those who can't warm in the background though, synchronizing
per-fieldcache entry would probably be a good idea.

-Yonik