lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Saurabh Dani" <>
Subject Using Lucene Index for Business Intelligence / Analytics
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:13:02 GMT

				I don't have a lot of experience with reporting tools and how data is stored by high priced
tools which use OLAP and other similar storage types but we needed a solution for drill down
reports and searching within large application logs / web server logs.

So, we decided to build a reporting / analytics solution using Lucene. The product is almost
ready and we are doing closed beta testing for now for reporting & searching in Web Server
logs with our small set of beta customers. I am not here to promote the product or drop the
URL, but wanted to get an opinion from this group on using Lucene as the data store for Business
Intelligence / Analytics.

If implemented correctly, is there any reason why a Lucene based data store cannot compete
with the high priced reporting / data analytics products for drill down reports? I know about
a lot of Lucene advantages which I can talk about with customers, but what can be the downside
of using Lucene / competitive advantages in other products which we should be aware of?

Saurabh Dani