lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From lude <lucene.develo...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Best Practice: emails and file-attachments
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:23:21 GMT
Hi Johan,

thanks again for the many words and explanations!

> You also mentioned indexing each bodypart ("attachment") separately.
> Why? ....
> To my mind, there is no use case where it makes sense to search a
particular bodypart

I will give you the use case:

1.)  User searches for "abcd"
2.) Lucene matches the searchterm (at least) two times:
    - One email has the term in the plain message text   (mail-1)
    - One email contains five "file-attachment". One of this files matches
the search term  (mail-2)
3.) The result list would show this:
    1.   mail-1  'subject'
         'Abstract of the message-text'
    2.   mail-2 'subject'
         Attachment with name 'filename.doc' contains 'Abstract of
file-content'

Another Use-Case would be an extended search, which allows to select if
"attached files"
should be searched (yes or no).

Greetings
lude