lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject Re: what do i get with FieldCache.DEFAULT.getStrings(...);
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:13:03 GMT

FieldCache was designed with searching in mind, where there can only be a
single indexed Term for each doc (otherwise how would you sort a doc that
had two Terms "a" and "z" ?)  I'm acctually suprised you are getting any
values out instead of an Exception

If you index your Field as UN_TOKENIZED you should get the resultss you
expect -- but then searching on individual words may not work the way you
expect, adding the data to two differnet fields (on TOKENIZED for
search and one UN_TOKENIZED for sorting/FieldCache) is the typicaly solution.

You also may want to look at hte LazyFieldLoading using the Fieldable APIs
.... they are for accessing the STORED fields of a Document, and are
aparently much faster then the old method of pulling out the whole
Document ... wether they are as fast as FieldCache or not I don't know.