lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: NPE when sorting on a field that is missing from a doc
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 18:36:15 GMT

: we have recently noticed that doing a locale sensitive sort on a field that
: is missing from some docs causes an NPE inside the call to Collator#compare
: at FieldSortedHitQueue line 320 (Lucene 2.0 src):

: >From looking at the standard String, float and int sorting and reading
: LUCENE-406 I assume this in not expected behavior and that docs that do not
: include the field should be sorted to appear at the start of the list of
: results.

that is correct .. typically "no value" is interpreted as being the
"lowest possible value" (so in a reverse sort, they appear at the end of
the list and not the begining)

: Is this a know issue? If not I'll raise the issue and create a patch.

i havne't seen it mentioned before ... i'm guessing it is specific to the
"explicit Locale" String comparator.

-Hoss