lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Filters or BooleanQuery
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:13:48 GMT

: I could easily go through and add query's but I have a feeling I should
: use a filter somewhere.  What are the best practices when deciding what
: to do?

the list archives will have a lot of discussion on this (mainly along the
lines of "should i use a Filter?"  in general the deciding factors should
be...

  1) does the critera in question need to affect scoring -- ie: if you are
searching for new articles with the word "software" and you only want
articles maped to the stock tickers AAPL or IBM, do you care what the term
frequency of the "stockTicker" field is for each document, or what hte
document frequency for those particular tickers are? ... if so a Filter
won't help you.

  2) is the criteria somehting that is reused a lot, and would therfor
make sense to cache independend of the users input -- ie: if a user
is searching for "flash ram" products and they and lots of other users
want to restict to "instock:true" products then a cached Filter could be
really handy.

-Hoss