lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Nina Khosravi <khosr...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Handling OR, NOT, AND operators in search query
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:27:07 GMT
Hello,

I am refactoring our search code that was written prior to 1.4.3.  I am
using Lucene 2.0 now.  The search string entered by users was actually
parsed by our custom code to generate the query.  This code was getting
fairly big and messy and I'm changing the code to use Lucene's query
parsers to build the query.  I am actually using the
MultiFieldQueryParser.  The problem I am having is the OR, NOT, and AND
operators are not being interpreted as operators but just as terms.  I am
using the WhitespaceAnalyzer and defaulting the operator to
QueryParser.AND_OPERATOR.  Any ideas how to get these strings to be
interpreted as operators?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.  I want to also
say that not only is Lucene a great powerful search engine but the user
mailing list must be one of the best!!   It so nice to see how quickly we
get responses on our questions.   I've also learned a lot from what others
write about.

Regards,
Nina