lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:14:21 GMT

> On 8/10/06, Doron Cohen <DORONC@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> Sorting was introduced to Lucene before my time, so I don't know the
> reasons behind it.  Maybe it was seen as non-optimial or non-core and
> so was kept out of the IndexReader.
>
> I admit, it does feel like the level of abstraction that FieldCache is
> at is higher than that of the IndexReader (the lowest level).

... right, thanks, now I see what you mean. In other words, IndexReader
provides the ability to read/iterate terms and docs, but caching the term
values per doc is for a higher layer - this way keeping IndexReader simpler
and maintainable. So I guess Oliver can continue with the change as he
proposed it.