lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Incemental Updating
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:16:04 GMT
> i have two applications on an windows machine. One is the searchengine
where
> the index is can be searched.
> The second application runs one time on a day which updates
> (deletions/adding)
> the index.
>
> My question:
> The index is already opened (Indexreader) by the frist application. Is
there
> a problem when second application accesses the same indexfiles for
updating
> at the same time?

No problem at all - you can update an index while it is used for search.

> I tried it and i get no exception, but when i search for
> the for documents where the values where changed (first delete, than add
> new document), i can only find it with the old values, not with new ones.

Once the update is done, you need to close the searcher and open a new one.
A searcher, once open, will not reflect further updates to the index. One
more thing to consider is warming a newly opened searcher before switching
from an "old" searcher to the new one.

Lucene FAQ - http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ - has a few
relevant items, in particular
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LuceneFAQ#head-e1cf4d5e35de90d7dd76d9097648a6b720d54cb5