lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From adrena.keat...@nl.abnamro.com
Subject Lucene/Tomcat Memory Leak Issue
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:48:35 GMT

Hello, can anyone help?

We're experiencing the following issue an Widows Intranet website:

Following a Tomcat restart, our application has Lucene creating a single
new index in a RAMDirectory, followed by continuous creation of additional
index entries as new content is published.

During the initial index creation process, Heap Memory utilization jumps to
over 300 MB and never drops back down, even though the new index itself is
~15 MB in size. Then, as additional index entries are added, the Heap
Memory utilization continues to increase and garbage collection reduces in
size, until we max out the available Heap Memory and Tomcat crashes.

Relevant configuration items:
        Windows 2000 5.0
        4 Processors, 2GB RAM
        Tomcat 5.0.27
        JDK 1.5.0_06
        Lucene 1.9.1
        VM arguments:
                -Djava.io.tmpdir=D:\Appldata\Lucene\lockDir
                -Dorg.apache.lucene.commitLockTimeout=60000
                -Dorg.apache.lucene.writeLockTimeout=60000
                -XX:PermSize=256m
                -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
                -Xrs
                -Xms256m
                -Xmx1024m
                -Xss512k
        lucene.searcher.keep.open=true
        lucene.searcher.retries=6

Has anyone experienced similar conditions? Any suggestions?

Kind Regards
Adrena Keating

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V, which has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is
registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587, including its
group companies, shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its
group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of
viruses, interceptions or interference.