lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 03:05:14 GMT

On 09/08/2006, at 12:47 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> The nature of the field cache itself means that the first sort on a
> particular field can take a long, long time.  Synchronization won't
> really help that much.

I'm not so sure I agree with that.  If you have, say, 4 threads
concurrently starting a search on a cold index, they will _all_
effectively do a warm of the searcher, chewing up CPU and disk, which
may be better utilised by other threads.  Wouldn't it be better for 1
thread to do the warming while the others block waiting?

The option to warm-up the index before making it available to
concurrent searches is effectively the same thing as this.  I would
have thought it would be nicer to have it part of the search
mechanism rather than rely on coders to constantly build that warm-
ing thread into their application.

My 5 Australian cents (currently 3.75 US cents).

Paul Smith