lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Salman Shahid" <salman.sha...@blastradius.com>
Subject Lucene maxing CPU on Solaris 10
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:00:12 GMT

Folks,

Recently we are observing an issue with one of our web applications
(using Lucene 1.4) maxing out on CPU under concurrent access of ~20
users doing a lucene query. At this point web application fails to serve
any more pages and thread dump shows all lucene threads "waiting for
monitor" access.

Oddly this only happens on our production Solaris 10 boxes, with JDK
1.5. The load test passes with flying colors on a Windows XP box, even
for 50+ concurrent access.

We have tried many options all the way from patching Solaris to
efficient disk access as well as various JVM arguments, but nothing
worked for us. The issue is similar to what this thread presents.

http://www.archivum.info/java-dev@lucene.apache.org/2005-07/msg00046.htm

Env. in questions is :

OS - Solaris 10, dual core AMD 64

JVM - 1.5.0_06

Tomcat - 5.0.27

Lucene 1.4-final

Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Salman