lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: WIll storing docs affect lucene's search performance ?
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:05:04 GMT

Large stored fields can affect performance when you are iterating
over your hits (assuming you are not interested in the value of the
stored field at that point in time) for a results display since all
Fields are loaded when getting the Document.  The SVN trunk has a
version of lazy loading that allows you to specify which fields are
loaded and which ones are lazy, so you can avoid loading fields that
a user will never view.

-Grant

On Aug 11, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Prasenjit Mukherjee wrote:

> I have a requirement ( use highlighter) to  store the doc content
> somewhere., and I am not allowed to use a RDBMS. I am thinking of
> using Lucene's Field with (Field.Store.YES and Field.Index.NO) to
> store the doc content. Will it have any negative affect on my
> search performance ?
> I think I have read somewhere that  Lucene shouldn't be used(or
> misused)  to provide RDBMS like storage.
>
> --prasen

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer