lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcus Falck" <>
Subject addIndexes method without the merge
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:46:33 GMT

In my search engine (based on top of the lucene 1.4.3 api) I'm using one
RAMDir as a live indexing buffert and one FSDir as the main persisted

When the RAMDir buffert has been filled I'm adding those documents to
the FSDir and clear the RAMDir.

At first I was iterating thru the RAMDir and added every document to the
FSDir. But that turned out to be very inefficient. So I tried to use the
addIndexes method but soon I realized that the addIndexes method will
always leave me with one optimized file ( as long as the maxMergeDocs
hasn't been reached ??).  Then I tried to do my own
addIndexesWithoutOptimize method which main purpose is to ALWAYS create
a new segment file for the directory added to it. At first this method
seemed to work but after a while I realized that this was not the case,
my method seems to do some minor screw up to the index.

So I'm wondering if somebody could help my do a new method?