lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marcus Falck" <marcus.fa...@observer.se>
Subject SV: 30 milllion+ docs on a single server
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:02:54 GMT
You will run into problems with the sorting if you can't hold the fieldcache for long intervals.
I'm working on a system containing 300 million docs. And I ran into sorting issues after only
5 million docs, but then again I can't hold my IndexSearcher open for so long intervals since
I'm dealing with frequently changed data. I had to redo some of the scoring part to just deal
with the boost value to accomplish my sorting. Which however worked nice but I'm looked into
once specific sort.

I'm also pretty interested in how large indexes I will be able to host per server, but I have
already implemented abilities for horizontal scaling I just hope I won't end up with to many
boxes.

/

Marcus

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Mark Miller [mailto:markrmiller@gmail.com]
Skickat: den 13 augusti 2006 01:45
Till: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Ämne: Re: 30 milllion+ docs on a single server

The single server is important because I think it will take a lot of
work to scale it to multiple servers. The index must allow for close to
real-time updates and additions. It must also remain searchable at all
times (other than than during the brief period of single updates and
additions). If it is easy to scale this to multiple servers please tell
me how.

- Mark