lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mek <meki...@gmail.com>
Subject Does lucene performance suffer with a lot of empty fields ?
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 07:52:48 GMT
I have 1 generic index, but am Indexing a lot of different things, like
actors, politicians, scientists, sportsmen.

And as you can see that though there are some common fields, like name &
DOB, there are also fields for each of these types of people that are
different.
e.g. Actors will have "Movies, TV shows, ", politicians will have "Political
party...", scientists will have "publications, inventions ..."

Also, I do not want to create multiple indexes, as the number of such types
& hence the number of indices can get out of hand, eg I could decide to add
"footballers", "tennis players".

I am sure I am not the 1st who's facing this problem.

>From what I gather, I can go ahead & create an Index & for each Document &
only add the relevant fields. Is this correct?
I should still be able to search with queries like "mel Movies:braveheart".
Right ?

Would this impact the search performance ?
Any other words of caution for me ?

Thanks,
 mek