lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From KEGan <khoon.ee....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to combine multiple fields to a single field for indexing
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:42:47 GMT
Erik,

What is generally the reason for indexing both individual fields, and the
general-purpose "content" field ?

Also, if we search in the general-purpose "content" field, wouldnt this
problem occurs. Let say we have 2 fields and the following values:

name : John Smith
food  : subway sandwich

So the general-purpose "content" would have the following values:

John Smith subway sandwich

Hence, if the user search for "smith subway" (with quotation), the said
document will be returned. On the other hand, if both fields were indexed
seperately, this document would not be returned, since there is no field
that contain the value "smith subway".

How do we go about this problem ?