lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs Database Search
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:22:13 GMT
Performance wise, Lucene search is much faster for full-text search.
If you only do "Employee ID" search, or exact match of Names,
database's search can do a good job already.

If it's regarding the index maintenance, you should have a updated_at
column for each record, and select the latest records out. And do an
"update" to the index periodically.

Chris Lu
Lucene Search for Any Databases/Applications
http://www.dbsight.net

On 8/24/06, kalpesh patel <kalpesh.modi01@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have an application. It has large number of records around (1.2 million) with a possibility
of doubling every year. The average records being added per day is around 3000 distributed
over the day. The inserted record has to be searchable immediately once it is entered into
the database and the index updated. I have created a Lucene index, and the size is around
0.5 GB.

>   The search DOES not require text search. It just includes search by First Name, Last
Name, Employee ID.

>   What would be better solution in the existing situation and long run? Keeping all the
searchable records in one database table (issuing a select query against one table) or using
Lucene index.