lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: desired constructor Field("contents", new FileReader(f), Field.Store.COMPRESS)
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:40:08 GMT
Hi Boris,

Readers are never stored, so I don't believe you can do it that way.
Of course, you can always read the values into a String and then
access the appropriate String based constructor.

Storage is a separate mechanism from indexing, so my _guess_ is that
if you want Readers to be stored, it would result in having to use
the Reader twice (once for indexing and once for storage), which
isn't possible, I don't believe, since not all Readers support the
mark() and reset() functionality.  Besides, you will get better
performance reading once...

On Aug 15, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Boris Galitsky wrote:

> Hello
> I need to index the content of a file (using our in-house analyzer)
> and store in compressed way.
> So  Field("contents", new FileReader(f), Field.Store.COMPRESS)
> would be a desired constructor
> (but it does not exist in this form).
> How would one "combine"  new FileReader(f) and Field.Store.COMPRESS ?
> Regards
> --
> Boris Galitsky.
> For additional commands, e-mail: