lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: How to combine multiple fields to a single field for indexing
Date Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:25:42 GMT

On Aug 26, 2006, at 5:11 AM, KEGan wrote:
> Erik,
>
> "Given the position increment gap between instances of same-named
> fields that is now part of Lucene, I recommend using multiple field
> instances instead."
>
> Did you mean ... recommend "NOT" using multiple field ?

I said what I meant accurately.  Comparing building a single
aggregate search field either by concatenating text into a single
string and a single field, say "contents" instance, versus multiple
"contents" instances that could get separated by a position increment
gap, I recommend the second approach.

But...

> If we want to do query like "name:John" or boasting of Fields ...
> then we
> have to use multiple field instances, right ?

of course.

	Erik