lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: graphically representing an index
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:49:19 GMT
SOMMERIA KLEIN Ariel Ext VIACCESS-BU_DRM wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a newbie with Lucene and I'm looking to implement the following:
> I want to index posts from a forum, and, rather than proposing a search
> on the contents, graphically represent the contents of the index. More
> precisely, I would like to have a list of the most popular words, with a
> number next to each indicating how often they occur.
> The icing on the cake would be to be able to click on such a word and
> get a subset of the posts including that word.
> Can Lucene be used for this? Has anyone already implemented it? Any
> links?
> I've dug around a bit without any success, but my apologies if this has
> already been dealt with

See http://www.getopt.org/luke for an example of such functionality.
However, I must disappoint you - the most frequent words in a corpus are
quite probably also most useless words. For English these are: the, a,
to, for, by, in, can, I, ...
 So, you will need to eliminate them from the top of the list to get any
useful results.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><