lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Reviving a dead index
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 01:42:28 GMT
Stanislav Jordanov wrote:

> For a moment I wondered what exactly do you mean by "compound file"?
> Then I read http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html and got
> the idea.
> I do not have access to that specific machine that all this is happening
> at.
> It is a 80x86 machine running Win 2003 server;
> Sorry, but they neglected my question about the index is stored on a
> Local FS or on a NFS.
> I was only able to obtain a directory listing of the index dir and guess
> what - there's no a /*_1j8s.cfs * /file at all!
> Pitty, I can't have a look at segments file, but I guess it lists the _1j8s
> Given these scarce resources, can you give me some further advise about
> what has happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again?

I'm assuming this is easily repeated (question from my last email) and
not a transient error?  If it's transient, this could be explained by
locking not working properly.

If it's not transient (ie, happens every time you open this index),
it sounds like indeed the segments file is referencing a segment that
does not exist.

But, how the index got into this state is a mystery.  I don't know of
any existing Lucene bugs that can do this.  Furthermore, crashing
an indexing process should not lead to this (it can lead to other things
like only have a segments.new file and no segments file).

Were there any earlier exceptions (before indexing hit an "improper
shutdown") in your indexing process that could give a clue as to root
cause?  Or for example was the machine rebooted and did windows to run
a "filesystem check" on rebooting this box (which can remove corrupt
files)?

Mike