lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: java.io.IOException: Access is denied on java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:46:05 GMT
Doron Cohen wrote:
> "Jason Polites" <jason.polites@gmail.com> wrote on 27/08/2006 09:36:07:
>
>> I would have thought that simultaneous cross-JVM access to an index was
>> outside of scope of the core Lucene API (although it would be great), but
>> maybe the file system basis allows for this (?).
>
> Lucene does protect you from mis-accessing its indexes from separate jvms
> or even, to a certain extent, separate machines.

I would strengthen this statement: it is within scope of Lucene to allow
cross-JVM access to the same underlying index.  Lucene has file-based
locks for precisely this reason.  Lucene in Action (the book) has a
great discussion about concurrency.

It is also within scope for cross-JVM access when the JVMs are running
on different machines, however, there are known problems (related to
locking) when the index resides on an NFS mounted filesystems (and
possibly other remote-mounted filesystems).  We are trying to address
these known issues (see java-dev for the gory details) but it's not
clear when these fixes will become available.

Mike