lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject 30 milllion+ docs on a single server
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:10:31 GMT
I've made a nice little archive application with lucene. I made it to
handle our largest need: 2.5 million docs or so on a single server. Now
the powers that be say: lets use it for a 30+ million document archive
on a single server! (each doc size maybe 10k max...as small as a 1 or
2k) Please tell me why we are in trouble...please tell me why we are
not. I have tested up to 2 million docs without much trouble but 30
million...the average search will include a sort on a field as
well...can I search 30+ million docs with a sort? Man am I worried about
that. Maybe the server will have 8 procs and 12 billion gigs of RAM.
Mabye. Even still, Tomcat seems to be able to launch with a max of 1.5
or 1.6 gig of Ram in Windows. What do you think? 30 million+ sounds like
too much of a load to me for a single server. Not that they care what I
think...I only wrote the thing (man I hate my job, offer me a new one :)
)...please...comments?

Cheers,

Miserable Mark