lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Multiple lock files
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:38:47 GMT

> How do I remove lucene locks (startup) if there are multiple applications
> using lucene on the same box and all use the same lock dir?

The lock files are just files, so you can up and remove them.

However: this is in general dangerous and should not be necessary.

Lucene uses the lock files to ensure index readers/writers across
different JVMs, or within a single JVM, do not step on each other.  If
you remove them you can corrupt your index.

It's fine if you have multiple Lucene indices sharing the same lock
directory; each index will create a different name for its lock file.

Mike