lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mathias Lux <math...@juggle.at>
Subject Linear search using reader vs. scorer implementation
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 06:56:51 GMT
Hi!

I'm working in my spare time on Lire, a content based image retrieval
library (searching for similar looking images in other words, see
http://www.semanticmetadata.net/lire) based on Lucene.

As the cbir features are medium sized integer vectors I put them into
fields, and read them with the IndexReader within a linear search
through the whole index for matching: As soon as a query is issued
(which is also an integer vector) I go through every doc, get the
corresponding feature vector and calculate the distance (L1 or L2,
depending on the type of feature).

Do you have any idea if and how I could implement a linear search (L1/L2
distance on integer vectors) using scorers, so that filters and other
features can be used?

regards,
  Mathias

ps. Yes I know that this is in general easy to implement within a
database, which I have done for oracle, mysql and derby .... but people
do want the lucene implementation and believe it or not: Lucene is super
 fast for linear search -> THX to the lucene team ;)

--
      '   '    '     Mathias Lux