lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: FileNotFoundException
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 15:10:11 GMT

> I think its a directory access synchronisation problem, I have also
> posted about this before. The scenario can be like this ..
>
> When Indexwriter object is created it reads the segment information from
> the file "segments" which nothing but list of files with .cfs or mayn
> more type, at teh same time IndexSearcher object is created which also
> make a list of index files from segements file, then you invoke the some
> write operation which triggers the index pemrging, fragmenting etc
> started haoppening and it modifies the file list in the segments file,
> but still we have the IndexerSearcher object with old file list and
> probably that throws the FileNotFoundExcpetion becuase physically the
> file is not there.
>
> May be I am wrong but I try to put some light on this issue.
>
> I posted the similar problem with subject "FileNotFoundException: occurs
> during the optimization of index", I am also experiencing the similar
> problem when the index optimization task runs on the index and
> parallally search function is also running.

Lucene has file-based locking for exactly this reason.  Can you
double-check that the same lockDir is being used in both your
IndexModifier process and your searching process?

Also: this directory can't be an NFS mount -- there are known problems
with the current Lucene locking implementation and NFS file systems.
Are you using NFS?

Mike