lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: searching oracle databse records using apache Lucene
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:18:15 GMT
You're absolutely right, lucene is a text searching tool, not a database
tool. There's no point in trying to jump through hoops to use lucene if your
database already works for you.

If you're trying to do text searches, particularly if want to ask questions
like "find the words biggest and large within 5 words of each other", then
you might want to think about lucene. Or even if you want to just make
simple searches over text.

But to select rows from a database table, there's no reason to try to use
lucene. Use a database API instead.

Best
Erick