lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Sharing Documents between Lucene and DotLucene
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:42:23 GMT

On Aug 28, 2006, at 9:52 AM, d rj wrote:
> The primary reason for building a smaller client side sub-index is
> quality
> of service.  Building a client side index will avoid both network
> latency
> and network outage issues.  Rather than have the client application
> attempt
> to query the server's Lucene index for search results I would like to
> transfer a minimal index to the client that can be queried in a
> fast and
> 100% reliable manner regardless of network latency, network
> connectivity and
> server load.

What would define the documents in the sub-index?   What about
building client-specific indexes and transfer the actual index to the
client rather than pulling out individual documents?

> So, I was wondering if anyone had any approaches to transferring
> Documents
> between Lucene and Lucene.Net.  Or if there is something similar to
> an xsdl
> schema for the Document class that would allow one to transfer
> Document via
> a webservice between Lucene and Lucene.Net.

There really isn't anything special about a Document object - pulling
its fields into Map would do the trick for transferring it.  But,
again, what about unstored fields?  What about analysis?  You'd have
to re-index the a document on the client, which may be an issue to
keep Java and .NET analyzers in sync exactly with one another.

	Erik