lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From kalpesh patel <kalpesh.mod...@yahoo.com>
Subject Lucene vs Database Search
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:41:32 GMT
Hi,

  I have an application. It has large number of records around (1.2 million) with a possibility
of doubling every year. The average records being added per day is around 3000 distributed
over the day. The inserted record has to be searchable immediately once it is entered into
the database and the index updated. I have created a Lucene index, and the size is around
0.5 GB.

  The search DOES not require text search. It just includes search by First Name, Last Name,
Employee ID.

  What would be better solution in the existing situation and long run? Keeping all the searchable
records in one database table (issuing a select query against one table) or using Lucene index.

  Thanks in advance.

  -Kalpesh