lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Van Nguyen" <vngu...@ur.com>
Subject RE: 7GB index taking forever to return hits
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:03:34 GMT
I'm now using a filter on the wildcard portion of the query.  Takes 10s
to return results.  I took out the wildcard query and just search on
terms and that takes 187ms to return the same results (well... Not
same... But a lot faster to return results).  Unfortunately, the
wildcard query is part of the requirement.  I'll play around with the
filter to see if I can reduce the search time.

Thanks,

Van

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 6:20 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: 7GB index taking forever to return hits

I actually suspect that your process isn't hung, it's just taking
forever because it's swapping a lot. Like a really, really, really lot.
Like more than you ever want to deal with <G>.

I think you're pretty much forced, as Lin said, to use a filter. I was
pleasantly surprised at how quickly filters can be built, and if you
have a small set of wildcards you really expect, you can use a
CachingWrapperFilter to keep them around. NOTE: we're only recommending
the filters for the wildcard portions of the query.

For a generous explanation of wildcards in general from "the guys",
search the archive for a thread "I just don't get wildcards at all".
There's quite an explanation of wildcards, as well as some alternative
indexing schemes to make wildcard queries without wildcards. Which is
faster but bloats the index.

If you're unfamiliar with filters, you really need to become familiar
with them. Basically, they're a bitset with the bit corresponding to
each document turned on for terms that could match.

You'll probably want to use a WildcardTermEnum, or perhaps a
RegexTermEnum, and for each term, enumerate all the docs containing that
term (see
TermDocs) and set your bit in the filter. When the filter is created,
use it to construct a ConstantScoreQuery that you add to your
BooleanQuery. It sounds more complicated than it is <G>.

Just to clarify Lin's comment. The filter won't be slower than what you
are doing now. But it will be slower than a straight-up query. Each
filter will be under a megabyte (one bit for each of 5.5M docs), so you
could consider caching a bunch of them if you expect a small number of
terms to be repeated. Or let CachingWrapperFilter do it for you (I
think).

Note that ConstantScoreQuery loses relevance scoring (but you'll still
get relevance for the non-wildcard terms in your BooleanQuery). I don't
consider this a flaw since it's tricky defining how much *use* relevance
really is for wildcards.

Finally, your test queries (and I commend you for making limit-testing
tests before putting it in production) are about as bad as they get.
>From the javadoc for WildcardQuery.

" In order to prevent extremely slow WildcardQueries, a Wildcard term
should not start with one of the wildcards * or ?"

Best
Erick