lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Van Nguyen" <vngu...@ur.com>
Subject 7GB index taking forever to return hits
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:35:46 GMT
Hi,

I have a 7GB index (about 45 fields per document X roughly 5.5 million
docs) running on a Windows 2003 32bit machine (dual proc, 2GB memory).
The index is optimized.  Performing a search on this index will just
"hang" when performing the search (wild card query with a sort).  At
first the CPU usage is 100%, then drops down to 50% after a minute or
so, and then no CPU utilization... but the thread is still trying to
perform the search.  I've tried this in my J2EE app and in a main
program.  Is this due to the 2GB limitation of the 32bit OS (I didn't
realize the index would be this big... just let it run over the
weekend).

If this is due to the 2GB limitation of the 32bit OS and since I have
this 7GB index built already (and optimized), is there a way to split
this into 2GB indices w/o having to re-index?  Or is this due to another
factor?

Van