lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Giulio Cesare Solaroli" <giulio.ces...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Lucene and database
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:48:23 GMT
Alexander,

to solve your problem, you have to carefully understand how lucene
handles fields.

Lucene can handle the value of the document fields in different ways;
the different aspects to care of are:
- indexing: whether the value is indexed or not. It may look strange
to store data on a Lucene index without indexing it, but your records
IDs probably feet this scenario, as usually you never search record by
ID.
- stored: whether you want Lucene to store the full value of the
field. In your scenario, you probably need to store only the record ID
on the Lucene index, as all the data are probably better kept on the
MySQL database.
- tokenized: in order to provide useful text search, you need to
tokenize the "text" field(s), but you will better avoid to tokenize
date fields. For "foreign keys" fields, if you need to store only a
single value, you probably better avoid tokenize it. If instead you
need to store a "list" of foreign key values, your probably set the
value of the field with a (spare separated) values and let Lucene
tokenize it.

Lucene manages also other way to work with the field values, but you
should not immediately need to understand them for your current need.

Now, what you really need to do is realize that Lucene basically
handles only strings, but you have quite a few "knobs" to tune. After
understanding the option that Lucene offers you, go back to your
problem and try to find out how to let Lucene encode your information
in order to achieve your expected result.

If the content of the DB is updated, and you can not manage to reindex
the whole DB every time you need to synchronize its content, you will
need also to define an update strategy for the Lucene index.

Regards,

Giulio Cesare Solaroli