lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Index empty fields
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:11:22 GMT
Hi Otis,

well if i have to such a query I need a "dummy" value. To point that
out a bit more in detail...
A xml document has "n" mandatory elements described by a schema or
dtd. Some of the could have empty values. Would it make any difference
to the index / searching  if I just index an empty string?! Well I
guess not, to index an empty string feels good for me to have all
fields in every document. This tiny little disc space does not matter
I guess.

Is that true so far?!

regards Simon

On 7/31/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> If you want to be able to run a "give me all documents that have an empty field F", then
you'll actually have to stuff a "dummy" value when no real value for field F is present.
If you have an index schema, perhaps that's a good place to add a 'defaultValue'-type attribute
with that dummy value.  Perhaps Solr already has something like this, I'm not sure.