lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What are norms?
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 00:07:29 GMT
On 7/14/06, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Yonik, I disagree on one point.  I recommend against omitting norms
> for title fields.

Well, yes, I should have said "sometimes", when you don't need or want
length normalization.  The scenarios where you don't want/need length
normalization in full-text fields is typically with fields that are
restricted to being short (like title or name).  It's definitely
corpus dependent though.

> KinoSearch adopted a default tf() truncation scheme where all fields
> were normalized as if they contained a minimum of 100 tokens.

The kind of "title" fields I was thinking of were definitely less than
100 tokens, so it amounts to the same thing (but my advice should have
been clearer).

-Yonik