lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Missing fields used for a sort
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:36:55 GMT
> So I guess all the documents without a particular field all get defaulted
> for you. Which end of the list they get placed at I guess you'll find out
> <G>...

For lucene, it depends on what direction you are sorting.

Solr gives control over this in it's schema... here are some snippets
from the example schema.xml:

    <!-- The optional sortMissingLast and sortMissingFirst attributes are
         currently supported on types that are sorted internally as a strings.
       - If sortMissingLast="true" then a sort on this field will
cause documents
       without the field to come after documents with the field,
       regardless of the requested sort order (asc or desc).
       - If sortMissingFirst="true" then a sort on this field will
cause documents
       without the field to come before documents with the field,
       regardless of the requested sort order.
       - If sortMissingLast="false" and sortMissingFirst="false" (the default),
       then default lucene sorting will be used which places docs
without the field
       first in an ascending sort and last in a descending sort.
    -->

    <!-- Numeric field types that manipulate the value into
         a string value that isn't human readable in it's internal form,
         but with a lexicographic ordering the same as the numeric ordering
         so that range queries correctly work. -->
    <fieldtype name="sint" class="solr.SortableIntField"
sortMissingLast="true"/>
    <fieldtype name="slong" class="solr.SortableLongField"
sortMissingLast="true"/>
    <fieldtype name="sfloat" class="solr.SortableFloatField"
sortMissingLast="true"/>
    <fieldtype name="sdouble" class="solr.SortableDoubleField"
sortMissingLast="true"/>

-Yonik