lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What are norms?
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:00:40 GMT
Norms are per indexed-field.  For every document it's the product of
the lengthNorm and the index-time boost.  It's really more of an
implementation detail that you shouldn't need to know about unless you
have a lot of indexed fields and want to omit them for memory reasons.

See DefaultSimilarity javadoc for lengthNorm... it's what makes hits
on shorter fields score higher.

-Yonik