lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Heng Mei" <heng....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexSearcher memory leak?
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 05:31:53 GMT
import org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher;
import org.apache.lucene.search.*;
import org.apache.lucene.index.*;

/**
 *  Index is ~100mb.
 *  Run with -Xmx256m on Windows XP
 *
 *  OutOfMemoryException encountered after repeatedly
 *      opening/searching/closing an index.
 *  Seems to only occur when Searcher scope is outside the loop
 */
public class TestOpenClose {
		String db = "C:/data/index";
		String field = "field";
		String term = "keywords";

		//Normal behavior - no memory exceptions
		//The Searcher's scope is inside the loop
		for(int i = 0; i < 5; ++i){
			System.out.println(i);
			RAMDirectory ramdir = new RAMDirectory( db );
		    	Searcher searcher = new IndexSearcher( ramdir );
	        	searcher.search(new TermQuery( new Term(field, term)));
		        searcher.close();
		        ramdir.close();
		}

		//OutOfMemoryException after a few iterations
		//Search scope is outside the loop
		Searcher searcher = null;