lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Limit number of search results
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:03:37 GMT

: I'm still a little worried about doing uneccesarry work - this is totally
: different from what I know when working with DBMS.

What are you describing as "uneccesarry work" examining every document
even though you only care about the first 10, or re-executing the search
when you want results 11-20 ?

In the first case: there is no uneccessary work.  Lucene must look at
every matching docId in order to determing which docs should be the first
10.

In the second case: if you feel you have a need to cache the results of a
search so that fetching page#2 can be fast that's entirely your call --
but the mantra of performance optimizations is don't do it untill you need
to.  Typically questions about caching and performance can only be
answered once you have some detailed performance numbers about your
specific use cases (which requires documenting exactly what your specific
use cases are, and then testing them) ... otherwise you're just guessing
and your "optimizations" could very well make things worse.

-Hoss