lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Johannes Christen" <j.chris...@insiders.de>
Subject Berkeley DB JEDirectory Performance
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:06:45 GMT
Hi all.

I just want to share my experience with the Berkeley DB JEDirectory
implementation from the contrib. area. I spend two days evaluating and
testing it and found out that it does work, but has very bad performance
and very high disk requirements for medium size document volume.

I indexed about 78000 documents (DPA news items) in the FSDirectory and
the JEDirectory, and here are the results:

Disk usage (index size):
FSDirectory: 322 MB
JEDirectory: 4650 MB

Indexing Performance:
FSDirectory: 84 minutes
JEDirectory: 402 minutes

Searching:
Initial opening of the JEDirectory took about 45 minutes.
The searching itself was ok, but still about 1.5 times slower than with
the FSDirectory.

Ok. I hope than helped people who consider using the Berkeley DB
directory implementation in their application. It may do a good job if
you want to use transactions in small environments, but if the amount of
documents is getting big I wouldn't recommend the JEDirectory
implementation.

Bye for now

    Jo Christen