lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Lee, Andrew J \(CA - Toronto\)" <andr...@deloitte.ca>
Subject Newbie synonyms question
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 00:52:10 GMT
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but it is regarding
synonyms.

I am using the WordNet/Synonyms index and using the following algorithm
to create synonym searches (this is a dumbed down version):

Look up a the "base" word in the synonym index
In my search string, replace all instances of the base word with
"(synonym1 | synonym 2 | ... | synonym n)"
Use this new search string against my search index

1)  Is there an easier / more efficient way to go about this?
2)  Does Lucene have any built-in capability to handle synonyms?  For
example, can I point it to the synonym index and let Lucene perform all
the work of synonym lookup / replacement?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Lee

*******************
Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are
intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are
confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this
message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from
your system. Thank you.

Information confidentielle: Le présent message, ainsi que tout
fichier qui y est joint, est envoyé à l'intention exclusive de
son ou de ses destinataires; il est de nature confidentielle et
peut constituer une information privilégiée. Nous avertissons
toute personne autre que le destinataire prévu que tout examen,
réacheminement, impression, copie, distribution ou autre
utilisation de ce message et de tout fichier qui y est joint est
strictement interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu,
veuillez en aviser immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour de
courriel et supprimer ce message et tout document joint de votre
système. Merci.