lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Dragon Fly" <>
Subject Re: Empty fields ...
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:03:37 GMT
Thanks for the quick reply, Erick.  A couple of follow-up questions though.
If I had 200 fields (instead of 10), would you still recommend the same
approach? Would 200 filters use up too much memory? Would 200 filters
be too slow to construct/search?

>From: "Erick Erickson" <>
>Subject: Re: Empty fields ...
>Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:41:28 -0400
>You could use a filter. You'd just construct a filter with the bits on for
>all docs that had that term. You could cache these to make future searchers
>easier. I envision, say, caching one filter for each field and keeping them
>around so you could re-use them whenever you wanted.
>See ConstantScoreQuery, CachingWrapperFilter, Filter, etc.... Note, you'd
>only have to construct these once and (I believe) that CachingWrapperFilter
>will keep them around for you, for how long I'm unclear. I was quite
>surprised by how quickly filters can be constructed.....
>Hope this helps

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message