lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Lucene-In-Action book - any details?..
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:44:33 GMT
Vlad,

You're right - LIA 1st edition was written for Lucene 1.4.x.  All of
the code works fine with Lucene 1.9 (with deprecation warnings that
can be safely ignored), but documented tweaks are necessary to get
the LIA code to compile with Lucene 2.0.

The coverage of the basics and architecture is still current and
relevant, as well as algorithms, techniques, functionality, and for
the most part the API as well.  There are some new features in
1.9/2.0 that, of course, are not covered (if only I had that time
machine handy).  Otis and I are in the planning stages of the 2nd
edition, the calm before the storm.  The 2nd edition should see the
light of day by the end of the year, or perhaps in early '07 - that
is the best clarity I get from the crystal ball today.

Overall I think those new to Lucene will benefit from Lucene in
Action 1st edition, and add to that reading Lucene 2.0 CHANGES.txt to
catch up on API tweaks and new features.

	Erik