lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ryan O'Hara <oh...@genome.chop.edu>
Subject Can Field types affect search speed?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:33:15 GMT
Currently, I have field "DOC" which is indexed, but not stored and
not compressed.  This is the field that users query.  I also have a
field "SYM" which is indexed and stored, but not compressed.  For
every document returned in a query, I need its symbol.  Can field
types (indexed vs. not indexed, compressed vs. not compressed, etc.)
affect search speed?  If so, are my settings the optimal settings for
my purposes, or is there a better combination of field settings?

On another note, does anyone know how to return the field values
only, rather than the whole document?  This, I believe, would speed
things up, but I haven't been able to find how to do it.

Thanks for the time and help,

Ryan