lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Sorting
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:54:32 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> 1) I didn't know there were any JVMs that limited the heap size to 1GB ...
> a 32bit address space would impose a hard limit of 4GB, and I've heard
> that Windows limits process to 2GB, but I don't know of any JVMs that have
> 1GB limits.

I believe all Win32 JVM-s have a limit of ~1.3GB (~1.9GB if using
rebase.exe), which quite often can't be reached anyway due to memory
fragmentation. Read here for a somewhat funny analysis:

*http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2005/01/what_is_the_largest_text_file.html*

*nix OS-es on 32-bit platforms indeed have 4GB addressing space, but at
least 1GB of this space is reserved for kernel use ... If I'm not
mistaken most 2.6.x Linux distros run now with 1GB/3GB split between
kernel/user space, and 2.4.x kernels ran with 2GB/2GB split.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><