lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: email libraries
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:57:24 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> Just for the record - I've been using javamail POP and IMAP providers
> in the past, and they were prone to hanging with some servers, and
> resource intensive. I've been also using Outlook (proper, not Outlook
> Express - this is AFAIK impossible to work with) via a Java-COM bridge
> such as Jawin or JNIWrapper plus Redemption . This also tends to be
> rather unstable, and requires a lot of fine-tuning ...
We use javamail a *lot* with the Scalix IMAP server (the web access part
uses IMAP underneath).   We have had performance problems with the way
that javamail works, although for just scanning a message store to index
messages it's OK.   We have tuned the web access code somewhat to make
it behave better but we've also re-engineered the IMAP server somewhat,
partly with javamail in mind, and performance and resource usage on the
server are now somewhat under control.
> So, be prepared to suffer quite a bit. ;)
If you're doing complicated things, yes, but if it's simple access for
the purposes of indexing then you probably don't need to worry too much.

jch