lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Search
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:33:11 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> I think we have an RMI example in Lucene in Action.
> You could also look at how Nutch does it.  I think the code is in org.apache.nutch.ipc
package.
> I'm not sure why cross-platform requirement rules out Solr, I would think it would exactly
the opposite.
> As for 10m limit, it depends.  It depends on the actual size of the index (indexed fields),
complexity of queries, required query latency, the hardware you throw at it, etc.  So you
can't really say 10m is the limit.  You might have gotten that number from some of the older
Nutch docs/presentations, which means they are a few years old now and are Nutch-specific.

> Clustering and failover and "easily" don't really go together, in my experience, and
this is not limited to Luceneland. :(
> I'd love to be wrong about this, but it seems clustering/failover/HA stuff + Lucene always
ends up being a custom and propriatory job.

> Otis

Thanks for the info Otis. I thought I read that solr requires an OS that
supports hard links and thought that Windows only supports soft links.
Perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks,

- mark