lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Distributed Search
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:45:52 GMT
I know there has been a lot of discussion on distributed search...I am
looking for a cross platform solution, which seems to kill solr's
approach...Everyone seems to have implemented this, but only as
proprietary code...it would seem that just using the RMI searcher would
allow a simple solution? Is this the case? Could you easily provide
clustering and fail over using a variety of indexes and searching them
all with RMI searcher? Is it all really that complicated? I have read
that Lucene tops out at about 10m docs for a single server...I want to
hit 100m. I have a beautiful app that allows realtime updating/searching
(updates are rare but should be instant)...and I just want it to scale
up to 100m docs or so . Is that going to be an really advanced project
no matter how I slice it? I have done a lot of custom work with the
lucene stuff so it would seem difficult to adapt it to Nutch (but what
do I know Nutch) ... I have seen a lot of talk but not much on a simple
RMI searcher solution...any idea?

- Mark