lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki>
Subject Re: email libraries
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:11:48 GMT
John Haxby wrote:
> Suba Suresh wrote:
>> Anyone know of good free email libraries I can use for lucene
>> indexing for Windows Outlook Express and Unix emails??
> javamail.   Not sure how you get hold of the messages from Outlook
> Express, but getting hold of the MIME message in most Unix-based
> message stores is relatively easy.   You might, however, prefer to go
> down the POP or IMAP route for getting hold of the messages to index
> -- either way, javamail is your friend.

Just for the record - I've been using javamail POP and IMAP providers in
the past, and they were prone to hanging with some servers, and resource
intensive. I've been also using Outlook (proper, not Outlook Express -
this is AFAIK impossible to work with) via a Java-COM bridge such as
Jawin or JNIWrapper plus Redemption . This also tends to be rather
unstable, and requires a lot of fine-tuning ...

So, be prepared to suffer quite a bit. ;)

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration  Contact: info at sigram dot com

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message