lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Miles Barr <>
Subject Re: Timestamps as milliseconds
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:52:27 GMT
Michael J. Prichard wrote:

> I am working on indexing emails and have stored the data as
> milliseconds.  I was thinking of using a filter w/ my search that
> would only return the email in that data range.  I am currently
> indexing as follows:
> doc.add(new Field("date", (String) itemContent.get("date").toString(),
> Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED));
> does this look like a good approach to you all?

Using milliseconds as your resolutions will make range searches very
slow, since it has to enumerate so many values. I suggest using at most
minutes instead.

But either way I suggest using DateTools rather than using a Date
object's toString() form, i.e.:

doc.add(new Field("date",
DateTools.Resolution.MILLISECOND), Field.Store.YES,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message